The Audiophile Network Player
The multi award-winning NDX was Naim’s first standalone network player. The NDX is a network audio player with the potential to transform music in the home. It can play UPnP audio streams, internet radio, iPod or iPhone audio, and files stored on USB memory hardware. Three high resolution S/PDIF digital inputs complete its versatility.
NDX is however more than just a versatile network audio player. It embodies Naim’s unrivalled digital audio experience and knowhow to provide music reproduction quality equivalent to the best-in-class CDX2 CD player and HDX hard disk player. It makes music with vitality and clarity, rhythm and warmth. NDX defines a new class of high-end audio source equipment and brings to it genuine audiophile performance.
Connected to an analogue or digital preamplifier input, NDX unlocks the potential of network audio. Its network connection can be either wireless or wired, and NDX can stream audio files, including iTunes libraries, stored on a computer or on network storage, via UPnP. It can play all common, and some not so common, audio file and stream formats at up to 24bit/192kHz resolution: WMA, MP3, MMS, AAC, Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC, AIFF and Ogg Vorbis. NDX also recognises M3U and PLS playlists formats and supports gap-less playback on all lossless formats.
NDX can play literally thousands of internet radio stations and an optional FM/DAB tuner module, that integrates seamlessly with the NDX control interface, is also available. NDX can play iPod or iPhone music via its front panel USB socket and, via the same socket, it can play audio files stored on USB memory sticks and drives. NDX is fully Apple Authenticated enabling playback of iPod/iPhone-stored digital media, bypassing the iPod/iPhone internal DAC for optimised performance.
Three independently selectable digital inputs enable S/PDIF audio signals from CD players, computers and other digital audio sources at up to 24 bit/192kHz resolution to be handled by the NDX. Each digital input comprises a different connection socket option; optical TosLink, coaxial phono and coaxial BNC, to provide yet greater versatility and optimised sound quality.
Choice of control
Versatility and audio quality is worth nothing without an intuitive user interface and the NDX has three. It can be operated from its front panel buttons, from its remote control handset or using the Naim n-Stream app for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. The app also allows input and volume control of Naim preamplifiers and DAC.In each case, NDX control is simple, intuitive and satisfying.
Connected to a world of music
Connect an NDX to your existing audio system, and the world of network audio opens for discovery. It’s a world of high resolution audio downloads, UPnP streaming, and the vast resource of internet radio. But thanks to Naim technology, it’s a world of very high quality reproduction also, where music doesn’t simply play in the background but lives, breathes and communicates.
For more technical detail please read the white papers available for the NDX.
- UPnP-enabled to stream audio files from any hard disk server, such as HDX or UnitiServe, network attached storage (NAS) or laptop/computer via the home network
- vTuner 5* full service Internet radio
- Optional FM/DAB module
- Front-panel USB port for replay of MP3 player/iPod and USB-stored audio
- Apple authenticated enabling digital output from iPod/iPhone for ultimate quality control, charging and front-panel content display when connected to front-panel USB port via standard Apple digital connector
- Three 24bit/192kHz-capable S/PDIF inputs for external digital sources
- Multiple intuitive control interfaces: Front panel, remote control handset and iPhone / iPod Touch app
- Internal architecture for hi-res audio playback up to 24bit/192kHz over the network
- Ethernet network connectivity for reliability. Wireless also available for convenience.
- Streams/plays WAV, FLAC, AIFF, AAC, Windows Media-formatted content, ALAC, Ogg Vorbis and MP3 files from any suitable UPnP device or USB-connected storage device
- Gapless playback available on all lossless file formats
- Digital output on 75Ohm BNC connector
- Switchable DIN/RCA Analogue outputs
- Wired remote in
- Wired remote out for preamplifier volume control
- Performance upgradeable with addition of external XPS or 555 PS power supply or external DAC digital to analogue converter
- RS232 for software upgrades
- SHARC DSP and buffering with fixed sampling rates
- Naim proprietary 16 times oversampling and digital filtering
- Optical isolation of all key elements
- Linear power supply with 200VA toroidal transformer with four separate windings for digital, DPS, audio clock and analogue sections
- Seven pole analogue output filtering
- Optical isolation of data control lines
- Ultra low noise triple-regulated power supplies
- Ground selector switch for optimum performance
- High quality Burr Brown PCM1791A DAC
- Naim reference non-magnetic, low-resonance low microphony case
- OLED display for high contrast and easy visibility
- British design and build